It involves finding & posting information about what has happened on your birthday over the years; it’s pretty easy as you just have to type the month & day into Wikipedia’s search box.
She’s going for it: the idea is to have at least 1 post for every day of the year! She’s tagged specific bloggers but has also opened it up to anyone who wants to participate, so I thought it would be rude to refuse, really.
So here we go:
When is your birthday? Ah, the hard ones first! November 13th
Pick three people who share your birthday and share what you know about them
Quite a varied bunch:
– (Saint) Augustine of Hippo (354 – 430): North African based Christian scholar, one of the prime architects of the early church & its theology & doctrine
– Robert Louis Stevenson (1850 – 1894): Scottish writer, probably best known for “Treasure Island”
– Whoopi Goldberg (1955 – ) American actress & comedian, best known for roles in films such as “Ghost”, “The Color Purple”, “Sister Act” & “Jumpin’ Jack Flash”. But to me she’ll always be ‘Guinan’ from 10-Forward…
Other notables are former Archbishop of Canterbury George Carey, the actor Art Malik, & The Strokes’ bass-player Nikolai Fraiture.
There’s also a Portuguese footballer called Quim about whom I know nothing but who has to be included simply because of his name. It’s a family show, moving swiftly on…
Is anyone listed as being born on the same day as you (ie the same year)? If so, what do you know about them?
There are: an actor & a gymnast, but I’ve never heard of either of them.
List three people who died on your birthday and tell us what you know about them.
– Ol’ Dirty Bastard of the USA hip-hop group Wu Tang Klan (1968 – 2004)
– Camille Pissarro, French painter (1830 – 1903)
No-one else I know of really; there’s a Pope (Nicholas I, 867) & a King of Scotland (Malcolm III, 1093)
List three notable events that took place on your birthday.
My birthday has a bloody history!
1642: The Battle of Turnham Green in the English Civil War
1887: Bloody Sunday in London
1942: The WWII Naval Battle of Guadalcanal fought between the USA & Japan
1947: The USSR finished developing the AK47
1990: In New Zealand David Gray shot & killed 13 people in the ‘Aramoana Massacre‘
I’m somewhat cheekily counting all those as 1: slaughter is slaughter, after all…
More positively: in 1956 the USA Supreme Court ruled against Alabama’s segregated buses laws, and in 1971 the USA Mars probe Mariner 9 became the first spacecraft to orbit another planet.
Quite an eventful day!
Tell us about a holiday that falls on your birthday.
I actually hadn’t heard of any of those listed!
But I’ll take “World Kindness Day” any day🙂
If you’re reading this then consider yourself tagged! And go have a read of the other posts on Kate’s blog: