These are the (combined) rules:
You must post the rules
The only rule of the blog memes is that you don’t talk about the blog memes
Thank the blogger who has awarded you and link back to them.
Post 12 (7) fun facts about yourself in the blog post
Answer the questions the tagger has set for you in their post and then create 12 new questions for the fellow bloggers you plan to tag
Tag 12 (5) people and link to them on your blog
Let them know you tagged them
It’s just possible that I might have made up 1 of the above rules
OK? Let’s go:
12 Fun Facts
1) “Fun facts about me” is probably an oxymoron
2) I like to use fancy-sounding, often obscure & sometimes completely made-up words to make myself seem more cleverer than I really am.
3) I like irony but I hate ironing
4) I have scars on my left forearm & left knee (bike crash*), right knee (surgery after a rugby injury) & the palm of my left hand (trying to open a can with a staysharp knife). It’s just occurred to me that my scars probably represent my life in microcosm…
5) Somehow, somewhen I my fractured left clavicle (collar-bone) & now have ruptured shoulder tendons as a result. I’ve had this for at least 4 years. It causes acute pain & restricted movement in arm & shoulder, both worsening. I was going to go into a rant about how shitty my local NHS hospital were in taking over a year in diagnosis & then – it appears – deliberately preventing me from having the op I need. And about how I think that this sort of thing is indicative of how the NHS badly needs radical reform, & how I have a deep, intense & entirely justified dislike of NHS Managers & some admin staff. But then I remembered the ‘fun’ facts thing. So I won’t. Although I was going to refer you back to fact no. 1…
6) I use ‘fun facts about me’ memes to have a moan about my bad shoulder & the failings of the NHS.
7) As well as my home town of Christchurch, New Zealand (yes, the one flattened by the massive earthquakes last year) I have lived in Chicago & Atlanta, USA; Brentwood, Essex; Wood Green, Green Lanes & Lewisham in London; Brighton in Sussex & Erdington, Birmingham. I am also about to move to south Wales from my current home near Birmingham
8) I regularly played club rugby with a bloke who went on to win the Rugby World Cup. Playing in my position, on the wing. And he wasn’t even quick back then! I’ve always thought that it should have been me. I’d hate him with a passion but he seems like a pretty decent bloke.
9) I sort-of hold the New Zealand 100m sprint record for under-14 boys. I always will as they changed the age criteria just after I broke it! 11.7 seconds, in case you’re wondering.
10) I used to write film reviews for a company magazine, & had my own film reviews website back when the word “blog” was just a twinkle in its creators’ eyes.
11) I once spent £100 on a taxi ride from London to Dorset. I was determined to visit my cousin & his family there for Christmas, I didn’t drive & I didn’t know that public transport virtually disappears on Christmas Eve. I think that may have been the best Christmas present that that cabbie ever had!
12) My 2-year-old son can Beat-Box. FACT
12) I am unusually anarchistic in my attitude towards numbered lists. And I believe that any number greater than 12 isn’t really worth bothering with.
*I’d say “bike accident” but it had more to do with stupidity than anything ‘accidental’. I was young…
12 Answers to 12 Questions
1) Where is the most memorable place you’ve ever been? Skinny-dipping with my wife on my birthday in a hot pool in minus 10 degrees on a mountain in Iceland
2) If you could change the end of any film, which would it be and how would you change it? Mamma Mia. The end should be scrapped entirely. As long as ‘its end’ is defined as starting exactly 1 microsecond after its beginning.
3) What would be your dream job? Getting to scrap the ‘ends’ of really bad films
4) What is your favourite smell? I love the smell of burning celluloid in the morning
5) What is your greatest extravagance? Cream in my coffee. Several times a day. Every day
6) If you could be a condiment, what would you be and why? Salsa. Because people like to say “salsa”
7) Where do you stand on the dunking of biscuits? I stand as close to the biscuits as I can, so I can eat them
8) My colleagues Lee and Fran are being cheeky; which one should I slap? I cannot condone violence of any kind in any way. But you could slip laxatives into their coffees. They are both really annoying
9) What is your favourite scary movie? Mamma Mia. Anything so utterly execrable & yet so popular makes me fear for humanity😉
10) If you had to read one book from your school days once more, which would it be and why? My head says George Orwell‘s ‘1984’ but I think I’d find it too depressing to have confirmed how accurate were so many of its predictions for our society. I’d go with my heart then & reread ‘Puppet on a Chain’ by Alistair MacLean; because I remember enjoying it.
11) How much of your life did you spend on this meme? For this post I have carried out exhaustive research, both online & at the Library. I have searched my soul, wrung my hands & probed my conscience in anguish over & over again. I have lost track of the vast investments of time & energy I have made in the writing of these words.
12) Was it worth it, or do you hate me now? My life will never now be the same! And yes I do, but only on Mondays.
12 questions for the next
victims participants to answer.
1) Would you describe yourself as a ‘glass half-full’, ‘glass half-empty’, ‘just grateful to have a glass’ or ‘why isn’t this glass chrystal? And full of Cristal?’ type of person? And why?
2) How important to you in your blog writing is correct grammar, punctuation & spelling?
3) Jedward: Evolutionary throwback or the future of mankind?
4) While writing this post I came to see that my life could be, somewhat crudely, summarised by my scars. Have you had any unusual insights into your life recently, & if so what? (That question almost sounds as if it could have come straight out of ‘Blind Date’. Sorry).
5) What are your pet hates?
6) What in your life most brings you joy?
7) Do you move around a lot, like me, or have you mainly lived in the same place?
8) Do you have a “It shoulda been me!” story? And if so, what is it?
9) What is your main claim to fame?
10) How long have you been blogging & what prompted you to start?
11) What is the most extravagant purchase you’ve ever made, not counting house or car?
12) If you were to enter Britain’s Got Talent what would your talent be?
If you feel that you have better things to do with your time I fully understand, & I apologise if you’ve already been tagged or even made a post for any of the memes that seem to be going around at the moment.
So, my Dirty Dozen:
Here Come the Girls
Not Just Another Blog
daddy of two blog
Chronicles of a Reluctant Housedad
Dad Who Writes
The Crumby Mummy
So go for it! It’s quite fun, honestly. And I’m looking forward to reading what you come up with
- The tragedy that is Christchurch – Christchurch, New Zealand (travelpod.com)
- Surveying the damage – Christchurch, New Zealand (travelpod.com)